I have modified slightly the original instructions from Michael Garron Hospital mask challenge. #1000masks
The inside pocket is to allow for a filter to be added. They suggest: Vacuum cleaner filters, coffee filters, paper towel or Kleenex.
They recommend that the masks be washed daily in hot water and detergent.
Fabric: for the outside use dark coloured polyester, cotton/polyester blend or 100% cotton for the inside use light coloured 100% cotton
Elastic: 3cm flat elastic (1/8”), elastic hair ties, ribbon or fabric strips
Wire: MGH suggested a twist tie, but I used a 4” piece of pipe cleaner and turned the sharp ends under.
Child – 1 piece of outside fabric 22cm x 15cm (8 3/4” x 6)
1 piece of inside fabric 20cm x 13cm (8” x 5 1/4”)
2 pieces of 3cm wide elastic 15cm (5”) or 2 hair elastics cut open
Woman – 1 piece of outside fabric 23cm x 16cm (9” x 6 1/4”)
1 piece of inside fabric 22cm x 15cm (8 1/4” x 5 1/2”)
2 pieces of 3cm wide elastic 16cm (6”) or 2 hair elastics cut open
Man – 1 piece of outside fabric 24cm x 17cm (9 1/2” x 6 3/4”
1 piece of inside fabric 20cm x 13cm (8 3/4” x 6”)
2 pieces of 3cm wide elastic 17cm (6 1/2”) or 2 hair elastics cut open
1. Cut 1 outside piece, 1 inside piece and 2 pieces of elastic for each mask
2. Mark 1/4” on 2 short sides of inside and outside.
3. Make a narrow hem by folding on the line, ironing and turning under again. Sew hem down.
4. Mark three pleats on both sides on the front of the outside fabric. See charts.
5. Bring marks together and pin. There are 3 pleats of each side. Pleats should point down.
6. Stitch pleats in place.
7. Mark centre of inside fabric and make 1/4” pleat on each side. Pin and stitch in place.
8. Put outside and inside fabric right sides together and pin the top and bottom.
9. Sew 1/4” seam along top and bottom edges.
10. Zigzag pipe cleaner to the centre of the top edge seam allowance.
11. Turn right side out.
12. Place elastic in the seam allowance along the top and bottom of the short sides.
13. Top stitch around all four sides, backstitching at the elastic to secure
14. Fold the top edge at the centre to make nose