We start with some follow up on the mysterious red menubar bug and Vero social network’s questionable origins. Swift is now among the top 10 programing languages in use. Apple has announced WWDC 2018 dates and launched the annual ticket lottery. We speculate on what WWDC will bring us and how the lottery really works. Deep Fake technology allows the live modification of video with fake content. Intel fights for its future. The annual Stack Overflow Developer Survey is out and Greg Heo joins us to go through the findings. A cryptocurrency mining app is pulled from the App Store. Picks: Google opens up maps to game developers, WWDC Scholarships, Tau Day
Episode 186 Show Links:
- Nick Kohrn on Twitter: “@mtjc_podcast With regard to the MBP issues with external monitors a few episodes ago, here is what the issue looks like after waking from sleep. Notice the red bar at the top of the screen.… https://t.co/v6tO8mXx6A”
- As controversy swirls, social network Vero is closing in on 3 million users – The Verge
- Apple’s Swift Programming Language Is Now Top Tier | WIRED
- Ello | The Creators Network.
- mastodon.social – Mastodon
- Apple’s project ‘Marzipan’ will let iOS apps run on the Mac in 2018 – report
- SwiftCoders: Weekly Interviews with Swift Developers
- WWDC – Apple Developer
- Guess Who’s Back! – AltConf – Medium
- John Geleynse (@jgeleynse) | Twitter
- Bugshot becomes Pinpoint, gets big upgrade – Marco.org
- Fake videos are disturbing and getting easier to make | CBC Radio
- Intel Fights For Its Future – Monday Note
- Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2018
- Apple Did Pull Calendar App That Mined Cryptocurrency From Mac App Store, Citing Excessive Use of Device Resources – Mac Rumors
- Pi Day Countdown on the App Store
- RWDevCon 2018: The Tutorial Conference
- TunnelBear: Secure VPN Service
- McAfee – Antivirus, Endpoint Security, Encryption, Firewall, Email Security, Web Security, Network Security
Episode 186 Picks:
- Google is opening up Maps so game developers can create the next Pokémon Go – The Verge
- Scholarships – WWDC – Apple Developer
- Stop celebrating Pi Day, and embrace Tau as the true circle constant – The Verge
Lately Logic Pro X has not been automatically converting the sample rates of our recorded tracks. We podcast with 4 hosts and for some reason 3/4 of us are recording at 48K. The project is set to 44.1K and in the past Logic Pro X would match the sample rates when importing. Not so much any more. It’s super buggy under El Capitan as well (Good job Apple!)
So you can force Logic Pro to down sample the tracks. In the Audio Bin, control click the tracks and chose Copy/Convert. Then choose AIF and set the sample rate to 44.1K. Also leave the Change File reference in Project Audio. Logic Pro X will freeze up (way to go Apple!) but after a while you will see a project bar as the track converts to the final file.
This week we chat about Internet pricing , cell service plans and iPhone subsidies. We follow up on Content Blockers and advertising. OS X El Capitan ships and discuss upgrading strategies. We cover our recommended upgrade strategies, cloning hard drives, backup and storage. We discuss the consequences of breaking Apple’s NDA as iFixit gets kicked out.
Episode 59 Show Notes:
- Tech Savvy
- iPad Pro
- iPad Model Comparison
- HIG Icon and Image Sizes
- Graffiti (Palm OS)
- ATP: Episode 137 Feature Photos
- Open X Ad Server
- Link Share
- Lex Freidman
- Block Party
- Top Selling Paid Apps
- Mixpanel – iOS 9 adoption
- El Capitan
- Super Duper!
- Carbon Copy Cloner
- Crash Plan
- Background Backup
- How to move your Mac’s iTunes library to an external drive
- Apple Bans iFixit Developer Account and Removes App After Apple TV Teardown
- Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006
- Merch by Amazon
- Nerd_Girl 19
- Wordplay (2006)
Episode 59 Picks:
Episode #8 – Psychic iPhone 6 Plus Bending – Sept 24, 2014
In the September 24th show, we discuss our hands on experiences with handling the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, the odd placement of the iPhone 6 power button. Apple’s quality control, bend-gate and bend-gazi, the iOS 8.0.1 snafu and iOS 8 adoption rates one week in.
[twitter url=”https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/mtjc-podcast-podcast-about/id906987516?mt=2″ hashtag=”#MTJC” text=”Spookiness in MTJC Episode #8 – Psychic iPhone 6 Plus Bending? Listen to the Podcast on iTunes or FeedBurner” float=”left”]
[button link=”https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/mtjc-podcast-podcast-about/id906987516?mt=2″ bg_color=”#cf93cf”]Listen on iTunes[/button]
[button link=”http://feeds.feedburner.com/MtjcPodcast-APodcastAboutIosMacDevelopment” bg_color=”#cf93cf”]Listen on FeedBurner[/button]
BTW If you like this podcast, please write a positive review on iTunes. It really helps. Thanks.
Here’s a link to The Strombo Show Hundo List.
Check out the updated Strombo Show App.
Listen to the past Sunday’s broadcast (usually uploaded on Monday’s)
You can also record a song request and send it along with your picture to George.